Can you officially confirm if a nomination for this year's prize is for real or not?
As a matter of principle, and according to the Nobel statutes, the Norwegian Nobel Institute can never confirm, or disconfirm, whether someone has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize until the full list of nominations is made public after 50 years.
Who can nominate?
Nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize require no invitation. Eligible nominators are:
- members of national assemblies and national governments (cabinet members/ministers) of sovereign states as well as current heads of states
- members of The International Court of Justice in The Hague and The Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague
- members of Institut de Droit International
- university professors, professors emeriti and associate professors of history, social sciences, law, philosophy, theology, and religion
- university rectors and university directors (or their equivalents)
- directors of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes
- persons who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
- members of the main board of directors or its equivalent for organizations that have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
- current and former members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee
- former advisers to the Norwegian Nobel Committee.
How does the nomination process work?
Nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize are submitted from all corners of the world to the Norwegian Nobel Committee, the entity responsible for selecting the recipient(s) of the prize. Anyone who meets either of the nominator criteria can put forward a name and motivate his or her opinion of why a given candidate should be considered worthy of the award. This is what differs the Nobel Peace Prize selection process from many other prizes where the awarding bodies are in charge of both the nomination process and selection of winners.
When is the Nobel Peace prize announced every year?
The Nobel Peace Prize is usually announced the Friday of the first full week in October.
When can I apply for a press accreditation for the Announcement of the Nobel Peace Prize?
We open for accreditation applications the last week of September.
When can I apply for a press accreditation for the Nobel Peace Prize events?
We open for accreditation application late October/early November.